Monday 30 January 2017

Living with a not so newborn: The self soothing baby

So.
I've come to discover that my son is a little attached to me.
It's not a bad thing.. But it can be a bad thing for him later on in his life.
I don't want him to be too attached to me and be labelled a 'mama's boy'
I want my son to be independent.. Yes he can come to his mama for moral support, advice whatever... But not to be so attached to me that he's not able to function if i'm not around.
So this week I'm trying to wean him out of me always holding him.. If that means he has to cry it out.. Then so be it.
As long as he's been fed and his butt is clean there should be no other reason to cry for such a long period of time.

Also. The MAIN thing I want Jeremiah to master is being able to sleep without me holding him or rocking him to sleep.
It's already improving.. He has to cry a bit.. And then.. Wait for it... He puts his two fingers in his mouth and sucks it until he falls asleep.
I read a lot about babies who self soothe.. And it's a good practice for them because that means they can be very independent. And it's even better for me and my arms lol.
Right now he's asleep next to me after about 15-20 minutes of fussing before he soothed himself to sleep.
I just hope and pray he grows out of it and doesn't continue to suck his fingers when he's like 20. -__-

God forbid. Lol

But I pray before the week ends his fighting sleep will cease and when he's sleepy.. He'll just soothe himself and sleep.. And then gradually just fall asleep with so much ease.
But i'm glad he's found something that he finds comforting and isn't expecting me to rock him to sleep.

Please God let this boy come out of fighting sleep and let him be able to sleep peacefully.. And may that result in him sleeping through the night with no interruptions.
Amen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, I love to hear from you guys :)