Monday 16 January 2017

Living with a newborn: Sleeping Breakthrough

Praise God, Hallelujah!

I have made a startling discovery with Jeremiah and his daily battles with sleep.
It's currently 5:32 in the morning-- around 4:45 after a feed he woke up-- but what he has been doing lately is rubbing his eyes and face vigourously... To the point where he wakes himself up... Now finding out that is his way to self soothe.
Self soothing for babies is very important so that they can learn to sleep by themselves and not depend on us to rock or swaddle them to sleep.

Now. When he woke up I picked him up and rocked him to the point where he was drowsy. Put him back in the crib. This is where the battle begun. I didn't pick him up again.. I sat at the edge of the bed.. And blew in his face (Jeremiah does this crying thing where no sound comes out.. And his face goes red..) and once I do that he calms down. He started to rub his face and eyes again.. I just watched.
Then.. He placed one of his arms behind the crib bale on the walls of the crib.. And put his cheek on it-- he rubbed his cheek on it a bit and then gradually dozed off.

So my revelation is that a lot of the time he wakes up in the night.. I may not need to feed him (which I have been doing) but just a simple thing of just getting him back to sleep.
I may need to invest in a comforter or sleep toy if he continues-- i'm going to see how this week goes. Also I need to invest in more mitts and sleepsuits with the integrated mitts-- the way he rubs his face is so aggressive to the point his skin goes a little red!
Oh this child of mine.. If this is how I can get a full night's sleep.. We thank God lol

He fights sleep like he's in a boxing match!
But I guess that's boy babies for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading, I love to hear from you guys :)